Resources on Transport and Industrial Heritage
There are some resources which have been produced as part of our projects or events that are available on this website.
Collecting, Curating and Conserving Large Objects
STICK and Industrial Museums Scotland have prepared a paper on the Collection, Curatorship and Conservation of Large Objects.
This paper attempts to cover in the briefest form what is a large and disparate subject. However, it is hoped that it can stimulate a new confidence among museum staff and collectors in dealing with their large object collections; both on display and (often) in storage.
Importantly, conservation work should not be avoided through lack of knowledge and it is hoped that this paper can go some way in remedying that.
“Large Objects” in this context means large industrially produced objects (including road, rail air and marine transport, working or static, machine tools, machinery, prime movers, indeed parts often integral to buildings themselves such as boilers, pumps lifts and cranes) present significant challenges for the heritage sector, whether in recognised museums or private collections.
Download the paper here.
STICK Conference 2014
The theme of the conference was the Scottish Diaspora: International Mobility of Industry, Technology, Ideas, Products, People.
- Miriam McDonald, RCAHMS, Introduction to Scottish Diaspora
- Mark Watson, Historic Scotland, Dundee Jute and the French Connection
- Dr Douglas Harper, Bridges in Nepal: The Aberdeenshire Connection
- John Martin, The Brewing Archive, Scottish Brewing: International Links
- Dr Miles Oglethorpe, Historic Scotland, Glasgow Cranes: the Japanese Connection
For additional information on the textile French connection see http://bit.ly/Cosserat
For additonal information on Harper Bridges see: http://www.harperbridges.com
STICK Thinktank 2012
Old Tools New Uses
These links will take you to the OTNU project part of the website where you can download the following resources.
- Old Tools New Uses master catalogue and guidance
- Old Tools New Uses learning resource for school children
- Conference 2011 papers
STICK Newcomen and Beyond Event
Some of the presentations given on the day are available as pdfs to view. They are:
- James Watt - His Achievement and Legacy: An Engineer's Perspective by Gordon Masterton (ICE/Babtie Jacobs/RCAHMS)
- Housing the Beam Engine in Eastern Scottish Textile Mills by Mark Watson (Historic Scotland)
STICK Committee Resources
The STICK Steering Group shares the papers of its regular meetings and constitution below.
- AGM 2012 Report from the Chair
- AGM 2014 Report from the Chair
- AGM 2015 Report from the Chair
- AGM 2016 Report from the Chair
The STICK Steering Group meets on a regular basis to plan and discuss the work of the network. You can catch up with minutes from recent meetings below.
- June 2013 minutes
- April 2013 minutes
- November 2012 minutes
- August 2012 minutes
- June 2012 minutes
- March 2012 minutes
- January 2012 minutes
- November 2011 minutes
- August 2011 minutes
- June 2011 minutes
- April 2011 minutes
- January 2011 minutes
- November 2010 minutes
- September 2010 minutes
- August 2010 minutes
- May 2010 minutes
- March 2010 minutes
- January 2010 minutes
- November 2009 minutes
At the STICK conference 2010 a new constitution for the network was discussed, and those present voted them through. There is now the following constitution, roles & responsibilities and terms of reference that the group works to.
The 2011 STICK AGM took place on 26th March at the Tall Ship in Glasgow, and a new steering group was elected. Details are available on our about page.